Event Title

FIGHTING ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE WITH A SOIL SAMPLE

Location

CoLab

Start Date

3-5-2019 12:00 PM

End Date

3-5-2019 1:15 PM

Document Type

Poster

Description

On the first day of this class, I watched a documentary named “Frontline: Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria”. After watching that documentary, I was surprised by how antibiotic resistances can affect and harm people, especially in the hospital setting. For my project, I am attempting to find a new antibiotic. First, I collect a sample of the soil in my backyard. Then, I run my sample through Serial Dilution process in order cultivate the bacteria from the dirt sample. From my sample, I was able to find seven candidates that showed signs of producing an antibiotic. After that, I test all of my seven candidates against the six safe relatives of the six ESKAPE Pathogens. After several days of incubation, I choose out a single candidate name TT313A which has significant inhibition in the Acinetobacter baylyli tester strain plate. In addition, I continue to test for the zone of inhibitions of TT313A candidate against Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus megaterium, and Mycobacterium smegmatis. I will be going to apply Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), Gel Electrophoresis, Gram Staining, and some more new techniques that I am going to study in class in the future. From my project, I hope that I am contributing a new antibiotic, which can be studied more in-depth by the scientists in order to fight with antibiotic resistance problems.

Image

Share

COinS
 
May 3rd, 12:00 PM May 3rd, 1:15 PM

FIGHTING ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE WITH A SOIL SAMPLE

CoLab

On the first day of this class, I watched a documentary named “Frontline: Hunting the Nightmare Bacteria”. After watching that documentary, I was surprised by how antibiotic resistances can affect and harm people, especially in the hospital setting. For my project, I am attempting to find a new antibiotic. First, I collect a sample of the soil in my backyard. Then, I run my sample through Serial Dilution process in order cultivate the bacteria from the dirt sample. From my sample, I was able to find seven candidates that showed signs of producing an antibiotic. After that, I test all of my seven candidates against the six safe relatives of the six ESKAPE Pathogens. After several days of incubation, I choose out a single candidate name TT313A which has significant inhibition in the Acinetobacter baylyli tester strain plate. In addition, I continue to test for the zone of inhibitions of TT313A candidate against Bacillus subtilis, Bacillus megaterium, and Mycobacterium smegmatis. I will be going to apply Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), Gel Electrophoresis, Gram Staining, and some more new techniques that I am going to study in class in the future. From my project, I hope that I am contributing a new antibiotic, which can be studied more in-depth by the scientists in order to fight with antibiotic resistance problems.