Event Title

Finding Potential Antibiotics

Location

CoLab

Start Date

3-5-2019 12:00 PM

End Date

3-3-2019 1:15 PM

Document Type

Poster

Description

In this experiment, I took a sample of dirt from a garden in my front yard to sample microbes in the soil. The goal of this experiment was to find microbe candidates that could be a potential antibiotic. This experiment consisted of diluting the soil microbes into a petri dish and allowing several days for the microbes to grow. After this process, I picked potential candidates, and grew them on a separate petri dish. I tested these candidates using the ESKAPE pathogens and found that two candidates showed zones of inhibition for A. baylyi. To further my research on these candidates, I will test the microbes by using Gram-staining, spore-staining and acid-fast staining techniques.

Image

Share

COinS
 
May 3rd, 12:00 PM Mar 3rd, 1:15 PM

Finding Potential Antibiotics

CoLab

In this experiment, I took a sample of dirt from a garden in my front yard to sample microbes in the soil. The goal of this experiment was to find microbe candidates that could be a potential antibiotic. This experiment consisted of diluting the soil microbes into a petri dish and allowing several days for the microbes to grow. After this process, I picked potential candidates, and grew them on a separate petri dish. I tested these candidates using the ESKAPE pathogens and found that two candidates showed zones of inhibition for A. baylyi. To further my research on these candidates, I will test the microbes by using Gram-staining, spore-staining and acid-fast staining techniques.