Event Title

Searching for a New Antibiotic

Location

CoLab

Start Date

3-5-2019 9:00 AM

End Date

3-5-2019 10:15 AM

Document Type

Poster

Description

The purpose of my research is to try to find a new antibiotic that will be able to fight against antibiotic-resistant pathogens. My process of trying to find a good candidate started with me gathering a soil sample. I chose to retrieve my sample right outside of my home. This then led me to do a soil dilution where I diluted the sample into five different dilutions. Then I had to plate these dilutions to see if any potential candidates could be seen. I had chosen about 10 different candidates that I thought could have potential to be good inhibitors. All 10 of these came back negative against the screens against pathogens. I then chose 3 different candidates and the candidates 1a and 2a were both a success. 2a even inhibited 3 separate pathogens including Staphylococcus epidermidis, Escherichia coli, and Enterococcus faecalis. 2a is going to be my main focus as I move forward with more tests including PCR tests, Gram staining, acid-fast staining, and spore staining. This type of research is very important due to how resistant pathogens can become to antibiotics. That is why we must find new antibiotics that are capable of inhibiting these pathogens.

Image

Share

COinS
 
May 3rd, 9:00 AM May 3rd, 10:15 AM

Searching for a New Antibiotic

CoLab

The purpose of my research is to try to find a new antibiotic that will be able to fight against antibiotic-resistant pathogens. My process of trying to find a good candidate started with me gathering a soil sample. I chose to retrieve my sample right outside of my home. This then led me to do a soil dilution where I diluted the sample into five different dilutions. Then I had to plate these dilutions to see if any potential candidates could be seen. I had chosen about 10 different candidates that I thought could have potential to be good inhibitors. All 10 of these came back negative against the screens against pathogens. I then chose 3 different candidates and the candidates 1a and 2a were both a success. 2a even inhibited 3 separate pathogens including Staphylococcus epidermidis, Escherichia coli, and Enterococcus faecalis. 2a is going to be my main focus as I move forward with more tests including PCR tests, Gram staining, acid-fast staining, and spore staining. This type of research is very important due to how resistant pathogens can become to antibiotics. That is why we must find new antibiotics that are capable of inhibiting these pathogens.