Event Title

Dirt or Antibiotic RH1?

Location

CoLab, OCB 100

Start Date

27-4-2018 9:00 AM

Document Type

Poster

Description

In our microbiology lab class we are attempting to find an antibiotic. Antibiotics are starting to become more resistant. More people are now dying from diseases that used to be treatable. The hope of this project is to find a new antibiotic that is not resistant and will be able to kill the disease inside someone. We are working with a group called Small World Initiatives. A lot of microbes and bacteria are found in the dirt, so I collected dirt from my front yard. I diluted this dirt to get a dirt and water mixture where I can get countable microbes. I plated my mixture onto petri dishes and let them incubate to see what would grow. I looked for special areas on the plates to see if there were any individual species that would not grow next to another because those are possible bacteria that can lead to an antibiotic. I picked out around 12 colonies that looked promising and put them on a new petri dish to grow each one again and incubate it. My species RH1 was tested against Bacillus subtilis and the two did not grow together. Further testing to identify RH1 is done to continue the experiment in seeing if it is able to produce an antibiotic or if it is just an average microbe from the dirt.

Comments

The faculty supervisor for this project was Jamie Cunningham, Biology.

Image

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS
 
Apr 27th, 9:00 AM

Dirt or Antibiotic RH1?

CoLab, OCB 100

In our microbiology lab class we are attempting to find an antibiotic. Antibiotics are starting to become more resistant. More people are now dying from diseases that used to be treatable. The hope of this project is to find a new antibiotic that is not resistant and will be able to kill the disease inside someone. We are working with a group called Small World Initiatives. A lot of microbes and bacteria are found in the dirt, so I collected dirt from my front yard. I diluted this dirt to get a dirt and water mixture where I can get countable microbes. I plated my mixture onto petri dishes and let them incubate to see what would grow. I looked for special areas on the plates to see if there were any individual species that would not grow next to another because those are possible bacteria that can lead to an antibiotic. I picked out around 12 colonies that looked promising and put them on a new petri dish to grow each one again and incubate it. My species RH1 was tested against Bacillus subtilis and the two did not grow together. Further testing to identify RH1 is done to continue the experiment in seeing if it is able to produce an antibiotic or if it is just an average microbe from the dirt.