Event Title

Antibiotic Discovery

Location

CoLab, OCB 100

Start Date

27-4-2018 10:30 AM

Document Type

Poster

Description

The purpose of this research is to try to identify a new antibiotic from the soil. Antibiotic resistance is a large problem in the health and medical fields today and research has shown that many antibiotics that we are currently using has come from soil. The first process of this project was to collect soil. I collected my soil from my front flower garden because my family has always put a lot of time and money into keeping it nice. With different top soils and fertilizers that we have used, the chance for something new to be in there was what made me gravitate to that location. In my research, I collected 18 different potential candidates of bacteria. I then created master plates that had just the bacteria that I were interested in on it. My master plates had some positive looking growth as well as some that did not grow properly or were the same bacteria as another. After analyzing my master plates, I got down to 12 potential candidates that I then used for antibiotic screening. I took the ESKAPE pathogens and tested each bacterium against them. As a result, my research showed all negative results to the ESKAPE pathogens. To further research on positive screenings we finish with identifying potential bacteria through genetic and metabolic methods.

Comments

The faculty supervisor for this project was Heather Seitz, Biology.

Image

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS
 
Apr 27th, 10:30 AM

Antibiotic Discovery

CoLab, OCB 100

The purpose of this research is to try to identify a new antibiotic from the soil. Antibiotic resistance is a large problem in the health and medical fields today and research has shown that many antibiotics that we are currently using has come from soil. The first process of this project was to collect soil. I collected my soil from my front flower garden because my family has always put a lot of time and money into keeping it nice. With different top soils and fertilizers that we have used, the chance for something new to be in there was what made me gravitate to that location. In my research, I collected 18 different potential candidates of bacteria. I then created master plates that had just the bacteria that I were interested in on it. My master plates had some positive looking growth as well as some that did not grow properly or were the same bacteria as another. After analyzing my master plates, I got down to 12 potential candidates that I then used for antibiotic screening. I took the ESKAPE pathogens and tested each bacterium against them. As a result, my research showed all negative results to the ESKAPE pathogens. To further research on positive screenings we finish with identifying potential bacteria through genetic and metabolic methods.