Event Title

Looking to Cure Eskape Pathogens in Your Own Front Yard

Location

CoLab, OCB 100

Start Date

27-4-2018 12:00 PM

Document Type

Poster

Description

I collected my soil sample from my yard, specifically by my porch, in an area where our pets don’t go. I chose this area because I was curious to see if the soil in my own front yard could potentially one day, help cure eskape pathogens. The soil was dark, had a couple of rocks and twigs, and was a bit moist. After going through the dilution and plating process, I had 17 possible candidates that showed zones of inhibition. 4 of the zones peaked my interest more than the rest—they had zones on the inside of the bacteria, versus the outside, and one of them had a zone on both the inside and outside. From there I used the cavalier method to screen my candidates. Unfortunately, after screening them against each safe relative, I had no candidates to continue on. To finish my project, I will be adopting a classmate’s pure culture candidate where it will then be sent for PCR screening, and followed through looking at metabolic testing, genetic identification, and the phylogenetics.

Comments

The faculty supervisor for this project was Heather Seitz, Biology.

Image

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS
 
Apr 27th, 12:00 PM

Looking to Cure Eskape Pathogens in Your Own Front Yard

CoLab, OCB 100

I collected my soil sample from my yard, specifically by my porch, in an area where our pets don’t go. I chose this area because I was curious to see if the soil in my own front yard could potentially one day, help cure eskape pathogens. The soil was dark, had a couple of rocks and twigs, and was a bit moist. After going through the dilution and plating process, I had 17 possible candidates that showed zones of inhibition. 4 of the zones peaked my interest more than the rest—they had zones on the inside of the bacteria, versus the outside, and one of them had a zone on both the inside and outside. From there I used the cavalier method to screen my candidates. Unfortunately, after screening them against each safe relative, I had no candidates to continue on. To finish my project, I will be adopting a classmate’s pure culture candidate where it will then be sent for PCR screening, and followed through looking at metabolic testing, genetic identification, and the phylogenetics.