Event Title

Discovering Antibiotic Characteristics in Soil Sample Bacteria

Location

CoLab, OCB 100

Start Date

27-4-2018 1:30 PM

Document Type

Poster

Description

The purpose of this project is to gain skills in the area of microbiology, with hopes to seek out bacteria that hold possible antibiotic characteristics. As a whole, our population is becoming antibiotic resistant, meaning that the current antibiotics we have to use are no longer proving to be as effective as they once were. This happens for many reasons, however, the most common are overuse and unneccessary use. For this project I took a soil sample from near a flowerbed in my front yard. I began with a serial dilution on a 50% TSA agar plate to dilute the soil sample in order to begin obtaining a countable plate of bacteria. I have narrowed it down to about six candidates from my serial dilution plates that could offer good qualitites. Each candidate had show some sort of antibiotic resistance in the heavily grown serial dilution plate. Over the next few weeks leading to this presentation, I will spend time testing these candidates against the ESKAPE Pathogens, performing different staining techniques, and biochemical tests to determine if these candidates offer antibiotic characteristics and to determine which family of bacteria my candidate is.

Comments

The faculty supervisor for this project was Jon Kniss, Biology.

Image

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS
 
Apr 27th, 1:30 PM

Discovering Antibiotic Characteristics in Soil Sample Bacteria

CoLab, OCB 100

The purpose of this project is to gain skills in the area of microbiology, with hopes to seek out bacteria that hold possible antibiotic characteristics. As a whole, our population is becoming antibiotic resistant, meaning that the current antibiotics we have to use are no longer proving to be as effective as they once were. This happens for many reasons, however, the most common are overuse and unneccessary use. For this project I took a soil sample from near a flowerbed in my front yard. I began with a serial dilution on a 50% TSA agar plate to dilute the soil sample in order to begin obtaining a countable plate of bacteria. I have narrowed it down to about six candidates from my serial dilution plates that could offer good qualitites. Each candidate had show some sort of antibiotic resistance in the heavily grown serial dilution plate. Over the next few weeks leading to this presentation, I will spend time testing these candidates against the ESKAPE Pathogens, performing different staining techniques, and biochemical tests to determine if these candidates offer antibiotic characteristics and to determine which family of bacteria my candidate is.