Event Title

Possible Soil Bacteria that can Combat Antibiotic-Resistant

Location

CoLab, OCB 100

Start Date

28-4-2017 1:00 PM

End Date

28-4-2017 2:45 PM

Document Type

Poster

Description

The purpose of my research is to discover antibiotics from soil bacteria that can combat antibiotic-resistant. This research is important because it is hard to develop antibiotic-resistant. To create a possible antibiotic or candidate to fight antibiotic-resistant, I used garden soil from my house. The first method that I used in this research was making serial dilutions to obtain a standard plate count. Several Serial Dilutions were done to get an actual countable plate and possible candidates that made zone of inhibitions. My research continued by making a patch plate of all the candidates. After patch plating, the potential candidates, they needed to be tested against ESKAPE pathogens to see if it made zones of inhibition around the pathogen. The results that I found so far is that candidate six inhibited three pathogens which are Enterobacter Aerogenes, E. Coli, and Enterococcus Faecalis. However, when I made a Streak Plate of this candidate, I end it up with two bacteria colonies. It wasn’t a pure culture. Therefore, I made two streak plates of both colonies of candidate six which I labeled 6A and 6B. The results I found so far is that candidate 6A inhibited the Enterococcus Faecalis pathogen. For my future data, I hope to find that this candidate can result as an antibiotic that combats antibiotic-resistant.

Comments

The faculty supervisor on this project is Heather Seitz, Biology.

Image

This document is currently not available here.

Share

COinS
 
Apr 28th, 1:00 PM Apr 28th, 2:45 PM

Possible Soil Bacteria that can Combat Antibiotic-Resistant

CoLab, OCB 100

The purpose of my research is to discover antibiotics from soil bacteria that can combat antibiotic-resistant. This research is important because it is hard to develop antibiotic-resistant. To create a possible antibiotic or candidate to fight antibiotic-resistant, I used garden soil from my house. The first method that I used in this research was making serial dilutions to obtain a standard plate count. Several Serial Dilutions were done to get an actual countable plate and possible candidates that made zone of inhibitions. My research continued by making a patch plate of all the candidates. After patch plating, the potential candidates, they needed to be tested against ESKAPE pathogens to see if it made zones of inhibition around the pathogen. The results that I found so far is that candidate six inhibited three pathogens which are Enterobacter Aerogenes, E. Coli, and Enterococcus Faecalis. However, when I made a Streak Plate of this candidate, I end it up with two bacteria colonies. It wasn’t a pure culture. Therefore, I made two streak plates of both colonies of candidate six which I labeled 6A and 6B. The results I found so far is that candidate 6A inhibited the Enterococcus Faecalis pathogen. For my future data, I hope to find that this candidate can result as an antibiotic that combats antibiotic-resistant.